Ragù alla Bolognese Taste & Texture
A vegan version of the classic pasta sauce that can compete with the original
- food processor
- 1 onion approx. 150 grams, cut into large pieces
- 250 g carrot, in slices
- 4 stalks of celery cut into pieces
- 2 garlic grated or chopped
- 1 dl olive oil
- 300 g seitan sieved, the broth collected
- ½ tl baking soda
- 1 tl fresh thyme leaves
- 2 bay leaves
- 400 g chopped tomatoes fresh or from a can
- 1 tl capers
- Chop the seitan, celery, carrot and onion into a very fine " mince-like" mixture. Do this in the food processor using the pulse button or chop everything finely with a knife. The size of the grains of the chopped vegetables and seitan should be similar to that of minced meat.
- Heat the olive oil in a pan, put the chopped vegetables and seitan in the pan and fry softly in the olive oil for 5 minutes
- Add the baking soda, the garlic and the thyme leaves and softly fry for a further minute.
- Add the seitan stock, chopped tomato, capers and ground pepper and simmer the sauce for 20 minutes.
- Season the sauce with salt to taste
*tips: -for a delicious vegan gravy use the same recipe minus the seitan, after 20 minutes puree the sauce using a hand blender or food processor; -this sauce is suitable as a filling for a vegan lasagne
Serving: 200gCalories: 365kcalCarbohydrates: 17gProtein: 18gFat: 26gSaturated Fat: 4gSodium: 568mgPotassium: 595mgFiber: 5gSugar: 8gVitamin A: 11517IUVitamin C: 23mgCalcium: 62mgIron: 2mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!